Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Audio Book Craze

So. I resisted the whole Kindle/Nook E-Reader when it first came out. I loved reading an actual book, turning the pages, and smelling that new book smell. Even the wait or that new release wasn't so bad, when you finally ripped open that box, and saw the glorious cover of that boo you may have been waiting up to a year for.

But alas, the reality of a NYC apartment closed in on me. My bookshelves were double stacked and the piles around my bed were, well, piling up. so I relented and frankly I don't know what I waited for. Except for the fact that I now have a HUGE To Be Read pile and am reading books that I never thought i'd be interested in.

And then people started talking about audio books


I was like, "Please. No way. I gave up my actual book. Now you want me to LISTEN to my book? What if I miss something? What if I want to go back and re-read? It's gonna be hard!!" 

 Yeah, I can whine sometimes.

I have some wonderful writer friends who have put out audio books which I adored in print. I listened to parts of them and liked them, but something in me rebelled and I resisted. Probably for the pure sense of being ornery, I rejected reading audiobooks, and never considered listening to them. I have friends who love them and kept telling me that I should try them, either while I walk to work or go to the gym (lol yeah another excuse to go to the gym that I can blow off.) 

Then I got this opportunity to choose one of Josh Lanyon's books available on Audible. Now if you don't know, Josh Lanyon is my favorite MM author. I love his writing, his character development and have never been disappointed in his books. So it made sense that if I was going to listen to a book, it would be one of his.

I clicked on his list and chose "A Ghost of a Chance." Today I had a fairly long subway ride, so I listened to it walking to work and on the subway back and forth. And the I had to finish listening to the entire book when I got home.



Ok, ok, so maybe I was wrong. I enjoyed listening to the book. I enjoyed hearing the expression in the narrator's voice and the change in voices between the different characters. it can't be just because it's Josh Lanyon, can it? Well maybe it can because I am such a fan of his. But willlng to give it another try, I tested my theory and chose another book- a historical romance and again, I enjoyed it. 

Even more so because it was in an English accent. Yes, in addition to being stubborn, I can be shallow. 

Hey don't judge. Everyone has their weaknesses. Mine is an English accent. And if the man's name is Tristan, watch out.

But I digress. Audio books. Yes, they are now something I most certainly will not turn my nose up at and will definitely choose an audio book in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment